The Security Institute
The Institute encourages and recognises excellence, as a part of its commitment to professional development and raising awareness of good security. It has developed an annual Awards Ceremony, where individuals and companies going the extra mile are recognised, and where its own Awards are presented.
This year’s have been postponed for 2020, with the awards next taking place in June 2021.
Nominations are still open for next year’s awards. You can Nominate HERE
The Institute presents seven different awards:
- ‘Outstanding Contribution to Security Award’ in memory of George van Schalkwyk – This award will recognise a Security Institute member who has demonstrated an outstanding contribution to the security profession.
- ‘Institute Learner of the Year Award’ in memory of John Aplin – This award will recognise a Security Institute member who has recently (from January 2018 to date) finished their Security Institute Certificate, Diploma or Advanced Diploma qualification in Security Management, and demonstrated that they have put their learnings into effective practice. Two awards will be made this year, one for a Certificate student and one for a Diploma or Advanced Diploma student.
- ‘Academic Achiever of the Year Award’ in memory of Wilf Knight – This award will recognise outstanding research on a security topic and will be awarded to a university student producing the most innovative and significant dissertation.
- ‘President’s Award for an Outstanding Young Professional’ – This award celebrates the next generation of security leaders, and will recognise a Security Institute member under the age of 35 who has personally had a positive impact on their organisation or the wider security sector.
- ‘International Achiever of the Year Award’ – This award will recognise a Security Institute member who has made a significant contribution to security outside the UK.
- ‘Volunteer of the Year Award’ – This award will recognise an Institute member who has made a significant voluntary contribution to the Institute, for example through the Membership Management Advisory Group, Validation Board, special interest groups, Young Members Group, helping out at exhibitions, and other volunteer roles within the SyI.
- ‘#NextGen Star Award’ – This award will recognise a young person who has participated in the #NextGen initiative and demonstrated a personal commitment to learning about security and developing skills for a potential security career.